The compensation will also depend on the location, as some states and cities have a higher cost of living than others. Other factors that affect compensation are the number of hours worked, company size, job type, level of experience in your career, and location. The national average how to become a security specialist salary is $52,632 annually which is less than the average Cyber Security Specialist salary, meaning most earn a livable wage. According to data and labor statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average Cyber Security Specialist pay is above the median salary.
One of the primary responsibilities of a cybersecurity specialist is to monitor network activity and detect any suspicious behavior. They analyze security logs, identify potential threats, and take measures to prevent attacks. If you already have a degree or IT experience, earning a cybersecurity certification could translate into a bigger paycheck.
Helfen Sie mit, Glassdoor zu schützen
Next time you’re offered a cybersecurity job, ask if the amount offered is open to negotiation. A survey by Glassdoor found that nearly one in three employees accepted their most recent salary offer without negotiating . While there’s no guarantee that you’ll get what you ask for, you could be walking away from a bigger salary by not trying. Cyberattacks continue to grow in frequency and complexity, and companies will need professionals with the latest cybersecurity skills to ensure data privacy, integrity, and availability.
A bachelor’s degree in engineering or computer science is often a requirement (but not always), and a master’s degree in cybersecurity can boost a job applicant’s appeal factor. Classes cover topics such as cybersecurity leadership, cryptology, government and national security, network security, privacy engineering, and problem-solving skills. The average cyber security specialist salary in Washington, Utah, and Oregon are the highest in the U.S. The lowest average cyber security specialist salary states are Vermont, Connecticut, and Missouri. Aside from industry, geographical location is a crucial determinant of cybersecurity salary. Salaries differ by state because employers often use their state’s income tax rate and cost of living to determine salary.
What Does an Information Security Software Developers Do?
Moreover, two-thirds of tech professionals with a master’s degree or more said their advanced degrees didn’t help them make more money. Cyber threats come in many forms such as malware, phishing scams, data breaches, denial-of-service (DoS) attacks and ransomware. Cybersecurity specialists are responsible for identifying these potential threats and developing strategies to prevent them from occurring.
Employers prefer a bachelor’s degree in computer security or a related field to ensure their experts know what they’re doing. Examples of related fields include computer science, data administration, network administration, and more. Now that you have a better idea of what you could expect to earn as a cybersecurity analyst, let’s take a look at how you might boost your salary, even for an entry-level analyst position. Cybersecurity is a relatively new profession, and those in the field have varied school and professional backgrounds.
Average Cyber Security Specialist Base Salary in the United States
A person can work in IT in many industries, despite this article’s focus on the technology sector. Regardless of the nature of a company’s operation, computer security is necessary. C., home to numerous government agencies with heightened cybersecurity needs and regulations in place for contractors working on federal projects can expect salaries between $125K-$150K annually. Read more about degree options and alternatives for cybersecurity, including what types of majors to consider.
- According to industry statistics, information security analysts often earn more money than cybersecurity specialists.
- For example, the compensation for a Cyber Security Specialist will need to be higher if it is in or closer to larger cities like New York City or some states like California.
- Be sure to speak with your manager about options if you’re interested in pursuing a certification.
- These numbers are similar to those at Payscale, which lists the average annual security engineer salary as $91,598.
- The definition of a good career is subjective, but cybersecurity experts enjoy many benefits, including above-average income, retirement packages and health insurance.
- Since they deal with data loss prevention and data protection in general, security incidents, risk assessment, and fending off digital threats, a cybersecurity specialist’s role is crucial to an organization.
According to Glassdoor, cybersecurity and data security engineers earn an average annual salary of $99,834. These results are consistent with those published on Payscale, where the average yearly salary for a security engineer is 91,598 dollars. The median salary for cybersecurity analysts in the US in 2022 was $112,000, according to the US Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) . One thing not to overlook is companies often give their employees incentives and benefits outside of salaries. After acquiring at least five years of experience in entry-level positions, cybersecurity professionals can move up the corporate ladder.
The courses cover topics such as security models, tools that are used to access and address threats, networks, and more. The BLS projects that employment for cybersecurity analysts will expand by 32 percent between 2022 and 2032, much faster than the national average of all other ocupations . Creating different entry level cyber security resumes for other companies but not including the certifications is a blunder you would want to stay clear from.
- Advanced roles are reserved for seasoned professionals with 10 to 15 years of full-time experience in cybersecurity.
- Keep in mind that a network security engineer title seems to be earning less than the ones mentioned above – $79,686 per year on average.
- Therefore if you want to succeed in this field, you must have an insatiable desire for knowledge coupled with advanced technical skills necessary for cybersecurity positions.
- If you’re eyeing large, famous companies, keep in mind that your starting salary will be comparatively low before you rise through the ranks.
- The term “cybersecurity” covers various responsibilities in the technology sector.